Sanctuary Northern Rivers Inc. is an organisation committed to the betterment of the life and welfare of refugees throughout the world. It accepts that persons flee their home and country for fear of persecution — be it for their race, their religion, their nationality, political opinion or because they belong to a particular social group. Many of these people are unable to return home. Frequently, they remain in intractable situations, in makeshift shelter, dependent upon in adequate sources of food and water, living with prevailing hostility and daily vulnerability. Their fundamental human rights of freedom, and their aspirations of hope are elusive, their lives seemingly without opportunity for a future of stability and joy. Sanctuary Northern Rivers Inc. brings together people and institutions of all persuasions and common interest, in an effort to better the lives of refugees in a compassionate and just manner.
The objects of Sanctuary Northern Rivers Inc. are to:The objects of Sanctuary Northern Rivers Inc are to:
- Support refugees who seek to settle in the Australian community through sponsorship, financial, material and pastoral assistance;
- Assist friends and families of refugees and others in refugee settings in developing an ongoing livelihood;
- Promote an understanding of refugee issues in the local community;
- Assist in the development of public policy;
- Seek to promote a deeper understanding of refugee concerns amongst the youth of the local community.